Applications are open for the 2018 Africa Energy Ideas Competition that is set to accelerate the development of early-stage energy firms across Africa. Across Africa, the main energy challenge is to rapidly deliver modern energy services to millions of households and businesses using sustainable and affordable energy technologies.
This competition challenges early-stage energy entrepreneurs from Africa to collaborate with local research institutions or industries to develop a prototype model of a key device/equipment for a social energy enterprise or energy management system using local resources.
- Young professionals between the ages of 18 and 35 years from Africa are invited to participate in the competition and nominate a relevant local research institution or organization.
- Applications may be submitted by a team of up to three people. At least 1 member of the team must be from the local research institution or industry.
- Teams may be formed across different schools, institutions, companies, countries etc. Individuals or teams may submit multiple applications.
The first round of submissions will be evaluated using the following attributes:
- Local Content: utilize local resources, demonstrate the use of local expertise, alternative energy services or efficient solutions for powering agriculture, education, healthcare, industries etc.; and be significant enough to impact large numbers of people, households and/or businesses.
- Originality and creativity: present solutions that are original, creative in areas that are either underdeveloped or severely underdeveloped in research and literature.
- Commercial Viability: proposed prototype model should be realistic, practical rather than just theory, cost-efficient and outline commercial arrangements that address obvious roadblocks, using a specific prototype model.
- Clarity: ideas should be presented in a clear and concise manner with realistic completion timeline.
The finalists and winners will be selected by a panel of academics and experienced development professionals from public and private sector institutions. Winners of the competition get the opportunity to:
- Pitch their proposed prototype model at the 2018 Nigeria Energy Forum, in Lagos, Nigeria, using a poster and short video.
- Benefit from unique networking opportunities with other young leaders as well as some of the most senior decision-makers in government, international development, academia and the private sector.
- Attend a range of business development workshops, receive support from a dedicated start-up incubator and a cash prize of up to $3,000 to demonstrate the proposed solution.
How to Apply
Read Competition Guidelines on Africa Energy Ideas Competition first.
Applications must be submitted in Microsoft Word or PDF format via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for proposal submission: February 20, 2018
Announcement of submissions selected for the final round: March 4, 2018
Deadline for final submissions: March 23, 2018
Announcement of winners: April 17, 2018.